November 28, 2012

Insulin Is Not A Cure - Family Ties

Hey guys!

Well, I have some pretty awesome news to share with you guys. You all know Madison and I are adopted. Well, in total, I now have three brothers and another sister. My sister Danielle contacted Madison and I and told us we have another brother! His name is Jason. So, I friend request him on facebook and try to figure a few things out, and first thing I see? He has type 2 Diabetes. I immediately got excited and wanted to talk with him! He may be older than me, but, hey, diabetes runs in the family. My biological family. I'm just carrying on the tradition. Well, This blog post features, Jason, my newfound brother, and I'm so thankful he wanted to participate in my blog! Type 2 Diabetes is a real problem as well as Type 1. Here I've just asked him a few things about his struggles and encounters with Type 2. I found I could relate to some of them and I hope this is good for you, as my readers, to hear about it from another perspective. I know listening to me talk about it all the time can be repetitive! These are all Jason's words, not mine!





What has been one of your toughest struggles with Diabetes so far in your life?

My toughest struggle has been having to get used to a different way of living. I haven’t had it for all of my life so I had a routine that I followed. When I found out I had diabetes I was angry and had a pity party, but then I decided to face it head on. I still eat like I used to, but I really watch my carbohydrates now.

Another struggle that I have found is that sometimes no matter what I just don’t feel good. I can eat perfectly and do everything I am supposed to do and still not feel good. That really frustrates me. I haven’t figured out how to take a sick day from work if my sugars are all over the place.

The struggle that I have lately is remembering to eat. I used to eat whenever and not worry about it. Now, I have to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. I didn’t used to worry if I skipped breakfast. Now if I do, my sugar will crash.





Has Diabetes ever inhibited you and what you've wanted to do?

So far it hasn’t. I have to plan a lot different than I used to. I carry glucose tablets with me in case my sugar crashes. I also carry money so I can get a drink or food with some carbs if I need to. I carry a lot of snacks just in case as well. I am starting to look at diabetes the way I look at my OCD. It is something I have, it doesn’t define me. Although that is way easier said than done!






What or who has given you hope with everything Diabetes has dealt you?


Honestly, Bret Michaels from Poison has given me a lot of hope. He has had type 1 diabetes forever and manages to live a very good life. He has had to adjust his lifestyle throughout the years, but he is a good ambassador for diabetes.

Also, the advances in insulin and pill therapy gives me a lot of hope. There are so many different types of insulin out there that I think diabetics will be able to live longer and fuller lives because of. There is also talk of an artificial pancreas in the works, which would be awesome! I believe there are great doctors out there who are really trying to cure this disease and hopefully someday will.






What is something you'd like to tell other diabetics out there?

I would like to tell other diabetics out there that there is hope. You are going to have good days and bad days. You can’t beat yourself up when you have a bad day. Although I am not the best about this! Also, I would tell other diabetics to listen to their doctor and take their medication as prescribed.

I suggest that every diabetic find an Endocronologist. The one I found is awesome. He is strict, but fair.





Global Symbol for Diabetes


I couldn't agree with Jason more. Granted, I'm no expert on Type 2 Diabetes, but I am faced with some of the same issues. Getting used to a different way of living? You bet. Enduring some days of just not feeling well no matter what you try? No doubt. Believing in a cure someday? Absolutely. Having good and bad days? All the time. God has blessed me with another sibling and he understands part of what I go through each and every day! I mean, hey, I'm just carrying on the family tradition, right? :)

Questions? Comments?
morgantturley@gmail.com










"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finishe its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
-James 1:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive