January 21, 2013

This Kind of Marriage...






So, what's the point of all these videos? The title of this blog post may seem strange to you, seeing as I am only a sophomore in college. But, I have known or been acquainted with so many girls who have gotten married or engaged recently, I felt like talking about marriage a little bit and what I think about it. The three videos above are wordly fabrications depicting marriage, or the beginnings of ones. I picked popular movies, and they all are very different from one another. What should love be in marriage? What kind of thing keeps it all together? At the end of movies we often don't see what becomes of the marriage, we only see the beginning of it. I know some of you are from broken homes and I know some are skeptical of marriage. Many girls already have their weddings planned out. The video below is a song from Sanctus Real that I know most of you have heard, but I think it is absolutely beautiful.
 
 
If you just listen to the lyrics of this song, it is very powerful. This is the kind of marriage I want. This is the kind of husband I want, this is the kind of Jesus-centered love that I want. And it's not easy, getting that. It's not easy finding all of this at once. It doesn't happen  at the snap of a finger. It takes work, like what Noah says in The Notebook, but this hard work is through Christ, not through human love. The line -
 
 "...lead me, with strong hands;
stand up, when I can't;
don't leave me hungry for love,
chasing dreams;
but what about us..."
 
- that is my favorite line out of the entire song. The whole idea of Christ leading a relationship is key. Like I said before, it's hard. None of us are perfect, and not all of us have always had something like this. Granted, I'm not even thinking about marriage until I finish school, but it doesn't mean I don't think about it. Referring back to the first three videos (maybe not The Princess Bride, that one was just for fun), us girls drool over those fairy tale endings. The Notebook... going back to your first love and realizing you are soulmates. Pride and Prejudice...even through all your differences, you find common ground and realize you would do anything for each other. The Princess Bride... your knight in shining armor comes to save you from a fate worse than death, and..... you just need to find another priest. I believe a lot of the time, girls make marriage a fantasy and want that love for the rest of their life. It won't always be that way. The reality is that you make a committment that will have struggles. And what is that committment without a strong leader? A strong leader in Christ, I might add.
 
For you guys reading this, what kind of leader would you be? I know you are too young to be thinking about marriage, but what kind of husband will you be to your future wife, whoever she will be? It's never too early to practice. What do you want to give her in life? As a girl, I can tell you that she will be looking to you for guidance and leadership at that point in her life. Own up to that. Would you be ready to take that responsibility on? Be a stronghold, don't leave her 'hungry for love', never lose the meaning of the committment. The good news is that you've got help in Christ. And He won't leave you to do that on your own, because you won't be able to 24/7.
 
 
 
I think the lyrics of this song are such a great depiction of what a marriage should look like. This society has skewed that meaning and made marriage into some sort of unattainable fantasy. I just want something as real as that. What girl doesn't? Anyway, thanks for reading, those are just some of my thoughts on the matter.
 
 
 
 
 
 
"We love because he first loved us."
-1 John 4:19
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive