February 1, 2012

My Career Ahead

Let's get right into it...


I had my survey of nursing class this afternoon. We had a lecture then we watched a video on the development of nursing during the Civil War, then WWII and so forth... Anyway, to get to my point. I am SO excited to finally be able to call myself a nurse. Granted, I've got a ways to go, but it's not diminishing my excitement. First reason why this is good: looks like I chose the right major! Second reason why it's good: I can love those who so desperately need support. Throughout my life I tend to do little things that show people I love them. I don't really tell them openly, even though I guess I should more often. I do it through action mostly. I say it if it's necessary, but I either do something or have a private conversation with them, just listening, letting them vent or talk something out. It also gives me an opportunity to show Christ. Talk helps with people who are not believers, but it's usually the actions that makes them wonder what is so different. I just can't tell you how excited I am to improve lives around me, not just with medicine, but mental support as well, and do it with the serving, loving, and humble nature that God requires of us. I'm not saying I'll be the epitome of that, but it certainly gives me the opportunity. It's amazing how a touch, gesture, or kind word can make a world of difference.


I'm sure I'll encounter some difficulties. I'm sure I'll experience tragedies I'd rather not deal with, but it gives me an even bigger chance to pray over the patients or family, silently and to myself, if necessary. One nurse in the video was talking about a hard day she had at work as she had to comfort a woman who lost her son. After class, I heard these two girls behind me talking, and one of them said, "I know! I was watching that and was like, wow our lives are going to be depressing seeing all that pain and sickness!" I don't see how that is. Giving love, care, and support to people who need it so much will bring so much joy into my life. Sure, situations will be tragic and it will be hard to hold back tears, but with my support system behind me, always (God and beautiful promises), I will be able to give that support. Hopefully those patients or families will feel it in a time of need. I just can't wait. :) I can't wait to give hope, as much as I have received it.








"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
-Philippians 4:6-7 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive