October 15, 2012

No Longer A Religion

It makes my heart hurt when I hear people talking about Christianity like it's just a religion, like it's just a phase, like we're just a group of hypocrites. In a class today, we touched on the topic of the secular versus the spiritual. Some cultures divide it, some don't. What do you do? Do you divide your faith with the rest of your life? Do you categorize your Sunday morning in the "spiritual" category then carry on with your "secular" category the rest of the day?

My belief is that the secular and the sacred should be intertwined. Your faith should be influencing your actions. Isn't that what Christianity teaches? Incorportate God into your everyday life. Use your faith to guide your decisions. People should be seeing the difference in you! There should be no distinction. In a previous blog post, I talked about Christianity being a change of heart, not just a change in behavior. That change of heart should be noticeable.
 
It's not just my religion, it's my life.
 
It's not just a phase, it's a commitment.
 
I am not a hypocrite, I am a daughter of God.
 
Reality check. What do people see in you? If they don't know you have faith, you need to start showing what you believe. It's not enough to just believe it and move on. Show people. Encourage people. Be God's message of love to people. My beliefs have influenced many a decision in my past, and I'm so thankful for that. When people ask me for a reason, I say my faith is a huge part of who I am and what decisions I make. It breaks my heart to see people scoff at Christianity. We get so caught up in our churches, in our youth groups, and we fail to see the other side of our sheltered life. We forget that other people just don't pay attention anymore because they think it is a joke. I want to change that when people meet me. I want to be influential in showing others what God has continuously shown me throughout my life. He has given me hope, support, and a genuine faith. It's scary to be that message of God, but He calls each and every one of us to be it. Prove them wrong. When they denounce Christianity, they are basically laughing at God. Does that bother anyone else? BUT...please don't get me wrong. Prove them wrong with love and with humility. I'm not trying to encourage a 'holier-than-thou' attitude.That's the last thing I want to encourage. It just makes my heart feel dejected when people roll their eyes at Christianity and those who believe it. We should be making a difference, we should be living our faith. We should be making people wonder what is different about us. I try my best to live my faith. I'm not perfect, but my life is my relationship with Christ. Beat the stereotypes. Live for Christ, not for your religion. It'll make a world of difference.
 
 
Questions? Thoughts? Let me know!
or...leave a comment below!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lod, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ."
-Colossians 2:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive