October 23, 2012

Sunlit Eyes

 
 

"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them and try to follow them."
-Louisa May Alcott
_________________________________________________________________________
 
 
Comparisons. Guilt. Incomplete. Degradation. Hopelessness. These are words that come to mind when I think about feelings of negative self worth. We all experience it, don't you agree? That fleeting thought that maybe if you just do this, everything would be alright. If you just had that one thing, everything would be alright. If you just had that one friendship, everything would be alright. If you just looked that way, everything would be alright. If you just had that one relationship, everything would be alright. If you could just make it better. If only...
 
These lies are fed to us every day. I've dealt with them and have known plenty of people who have. My self worth is not determined here on this Earth. Your self worth is not determined here on this Earth. What are you trying to control? I'll be honest, I've tried to control so many things in my life. Well, if I'm going to be honest with you guys....
 
If I only received a higher grade on that test, I wouldn't be in this situation.
If I only had hair like that, I wouldn't have this problem.
If I only knew what I could do, this wouldn't have to happen.
If I only had a boyfriend, I could be happy.
If I only had shoes like that, maybe I'd fit in a little more.
If only I was their type, my life would be better.
What would I have done differently with my life if I wasn't a type 1 diabetic?
If only my personality was more extroverted, I wouldn't have these insecurities.
If I only could prove myself, people wouldn't underestimate me.
If I only would have paid more attention, I could have prevented things from happening.
 
I've had every single one of these thoughts; many I've had multiple times. You're not alone. What does this sound like? I'm playing the "If only..." game. These ideas and lies we are constantly fed directly relate to our self worth. If you've felt these, you either feel dejected and worse about yourself when nothing happens, or you strive to fix it. We talked about this in my bible study yesterday. It's so incredibly easy, for girls and guys, to diminish their self worth based on what this world "says" you should be. If you're struggling with something personal, it's so easy to see your self worth reflected in that.
 
What if we went around concentrating on the self worth that God sees in us? He counted you worthy enough to die for you, surely he sees worth in you. The worth we attribute to ourselves on Earth means nothing. This worldly self worth we are constantly fed is a lie. My self worth is not determined here on this Earth. Your self worth is not determined here on this Earth. Our self worth is found in Christ. He is the only one who can tell us what we're worth. By accepting worldly definitions of self worth, we are putting words in God's mouth. And, really, if you think about it, how ineffective is that?! Really ineffective. You are loved and cared for by the God of the universe. He gives you everything you need to overcome something. The struggles we go through on Earth are definitely a show of our faith, but self worth is a different story. We need to find our self worth through Christ. I encourage you guys to see yourself through God's eyes - a loved son or daughter of Christ. Your highest aspirations through that sunlight should be related to God.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"It rises at one end of the heavens and makes it circuit to the other; nothing is deprived of its warmth."
-Psalm 19:6


1 comment:

  1. "What if we went around concentrating on the self worth that God sees in us? He counted you worthy enough to die for you, surely he sees worth in you."

    I love that.

    Great post Morgan!
    So many people need this today!!
    Keep it up!!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive